[GLLUG] Adding multiple addresses to multiple interfaces

Andy Smith andy at bitfolk.com
Tue Jan 2 17:26:57 UTC 2018

Hi Chris,

On Tue, Jan 02, 2018 at 04:33:35PM +0000, Chris Bell via GLLUG wrote:
> I have edited /etc/network/interfaces to specify all the addresses
> individually, and all four IPv4 addresses are successfully configured, but not
> all interfaces pick up their IPv6 addresses (although those that do are
> correct).

So your problems are solely related to IPv6, yes?

My first question would be, are you statically configuring v6
addresses or relying on SLAAC? But in any case I'd next ask to see
the /etc/network/interfaces file and that would answer that one.

> Any suggestions welcome, there are several layers of configuration software
> including systemd, IP, avahi, and NetworkManager, plus the simple historical
> configuration files, but without any indication of preference order.

I find it confusing too but on Debian I'm pretty sure that
NetworkManager and systemd-networkd will not manage interfaces that
are defined in /etc/network/interfaces. Probably on a server without
dynamic interfaces you would find it simpler to just stick with
/etc/network/interfaces.

Cheers,
Andy