[GLLUG] Adding multiple addresses to multiple interfaces

Andy Smith andy at bitfolk.com
Tue Jan 2 20:22:09 UTC 2018

Hello,

On Tue, Jan 02, 2018 at 06:08:34PM +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
> Correct. I calculated the 6to4 address before trying to configure the TP-Link
> modem, and the modem immediately confirmed that it was correct.

Hmm, 6to4 sounds like something guaranteed to give you grief.
Honestly I wouldn't bother with IPv6 without native IPv6.

What's with all the site local v6 addresses? What happens if you
stick only to global scope addresses?

Why is there an "up" on the end of each iface line? I haven't seen
that syntax before and can't seem to find it mentioned in
https://manpages.debian.org/stretch/ifupdown/interfaces.5.en.html
but perhaps it is supported.

It would be best not to use "ifconfig" for diagnostic purposes
because some of the configurations that can be set by ifupdown
cannot be reported correctly by "ifconfig". Most of the time with
simple configurations you get lucky and it tells you everything, but
things started diverging over a decade ago and it's getting worse.
Mostly you need to use "ip" for whatever you are used to using
"ifconfig" for.

This may help:

    http://baturin.org/docs/iproute2/

Cheers,