[GLLUG] Adding multiple addresses to multiple interfaces

Andy Smith andy at bitfolk.com
Tue Jan 2 21:36:25 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jan 02, 2018 at 09:04:17PM +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
> On Tuesday, 2 January 2018 20:21:54 GMT Andy Smith via GLLUG wrote:
> > Hmm, 6to4 sounds like something guaranteed to give you grief.
> > Honestly I wouldn't bother with IPv6 without native IPv6.
> I prefer to iron out the bugs before the direct IPv6 is switched on without
> warning. I tried to set up a Hurricane Electric tunnel, but failed to get any
> reply from them.

Yeah the problem is that most of the tunnelling and transition
methods are broken most of the time, because no one cares about
them. It's just a huge source of frustration.

> > What's with all the site local v6 addresses? What happens if you
> > stick only to global scope addresses?
> IPv6 is supposed to enable this, the addresses chosen are within the correct
> range, and created as specified using the suggested random generator.

Sure, but I mention it merely in the spirit of removing unnecessary complexity
until you get something that works…

> I have just confirmed that I can add the data using IP, but it did not survive
> a reboot.

"ip" is just adjusting runtime configuration, indeed. ifupdown uses
"ip" to configure things based on /etc/network/interfaces. So it is
expected that it won't survive a reboot.

If you have a sequence of "ip" commands that do what you want then at
the very least you should be able to call them like so:

allow-hotplug enp2s2
iface enp2s2 inet static
        hwaddress       00:80:c8:f7:86:b3
        address         172.21.1.22
        netmask         255.255.255.0

iface enp2s2 inet6 static
        address         2002:51ae:faaf:20:280:c8ff:fef7:86b3/64
        hwaddress       00:80:c8:f7:86:b3
        up              ip address add fd39:7761:9509:7f:280:c8ff:fef7:86b3/64 dev $IFACE scope site

i.e. do everything extra that you need to in the "up" script, with the "ip"
command.

…although I can't see why that should be necessary.

Cheers,
Andy