[GLLUG] Digests of CSV files

John Levin john at technolalia.org
Fri Jan 5 18:12:18 UTC 2018

Dear list,

I'm having a bad google day, and am not sure what terms to search on, so
I hope the list will point me in the right direction.

I have a number of csv files (of c18th imprisoned debtors). There are
three important columns: gender, prison, trade. What I want is a program
or script that will simply digest each column and relate them to each
other, producing something along the lines of:
There are 200 weavers.
There are 190 male weavers.
There are 20 weavers in Norwich Castle.
There are 18 male weavers in Norwich Castle.
etc.

This strikes me as a very obvious need, but aside from fantastically
complex apps like SPSS (which in any case, doesn't seem to have a simple
way of doing this) I have not found anything that satisfies it.

Very happy to try writing some bash script to do this, but am not sure
where to start. CSVkit or suchlike?

Thanks in advance,

John

--