[GLLUG] Digests of CSV files

Fred Youhanaie fly at anydata.co.uk
Sun Jan 7 10:16:09 UTC 2018

In addition to the other good replies, I think you may find the Unix
commands, cut and uniq useful here. This will work as long as the only
commas in the files are the delimiters.

For example, if the order of the columns are "gender,prison,trade", then

The following will give you the breakdown by trade:

	cut -d, -f3 file1.csv file2.csv ... | sort | uniq -c

The following will give you the breakdown by gender and trade:

	cut -d, -f1,3 file1.csv file2.csv ... | sort | uniq -c

etc.

Other complementary commands for manipulating such files are grep,
paste, join, sed, awk.

HTH

Fred

P.S. If I needed to do this beyond a 10 minute exercise, I would
probably create a sqlite database and use sql :)