[GLLUG] Spectre and Meltdown

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Sun Jan 7 17:57:42 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 7 January 2018 16:02:25 GMT you wrote:
> Hello. Another reason to abandon i7 and Threadripper in favour of Raspberry
> Pi.
> Kind regards
> David

The RaspberryPi is excellent, but it is not the answer to everything. I tried
to view a high definition IP security camera using one, which required it to
build the image in real time from a highly compressed MP4 stream,  and it
immediately went into overheat protection mode. However there is one running
my mail gateway, soon to be working with another replacing my old mailserver,
and another is my webserver.
One great advantage here is the lack of spinning discs, so they should survive
the expected mains power failures without a UPS, although I will probably need
a UPS for everything else.

--
Chris Bell
Website http://chrisbell.org.uk