[GLLUG] Spectre and Meltdown

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Mon Jan 8 21:01:59 UTC 2018

On Monday, 8 January 2018 14:39:21 GMT James Roberts via GLLUG wrote:
> On 07/01/18 17:56, Chris Bell via GLLUG wrote:
> > One great advantage here is the lack of spinning discs, so they should
> > survive the expected mains power failures without a UPS, although I will
> > probably need a UPS for everything else.
>
> Chris, you always need a UPS on anything that has write capability
> unless you just don't care about the system.
>

> MeJ

What I really need is a UPS in the loft for CCTV power and ethernet switch
plus a very large UPS downstairs plus a secure auto-start diesel generator
outside. I will probably have to make do with an expensive set of replacement
batteries for a UPS. Several years ago he shellac and paper insulated mains
feeder was moved sideways outside about five houses, and since then all the
joints have filled water and failed. Recent building work across the road
caused another short between phases in December, and Cadent are now about to
dig up and replace all the gas pipes to all the houses, which will disturb the
feeder to around 100 houses. I do not expect all problems to occur
immediately, but spread over the next few years.
--
Chris Bell
Website http://chrisbell.org.uk