[GLLUG] blacklist *-gov.uk

Dave Lambley dave.lambley at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 13:31:10 UTC 2018

On 11 July 2018 at 13:38, Tim Woodall via GLLUG
<gllug at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm getting quite a lot of phishing emails suddenly from *-gov.uk.
> Today's was @ebilling-companieshouse-gov.uk.
>
> Is there an easy way to block these in sendmail (or bind)?
>
> My googling for pattern-matching in sendmail and bind isn't finding
> anything. I want a two minute fix, it's not important enough to spend
> too much time on
>
> I wish the registrar would just reject any -gov.uk domain request
> though.
>
> Tim.
>
> p.s. Within about 24hrs these domains are dead anyway. Todays is the
> first one of these emails that I saw while the domain is live so I guess
> it was registered today.

Because the domains, and probably the senders, are not lasting long,
greylisting may help cut the spam down without adding any special
rules. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greylisting

I wouldn't know how to make sendmail do greylisting though, I've not
used it since 2002!

Dave