[GLLUG] IT for the NHS and General Practices

Chris Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Sat Jun 23 12:03:29 UTC 2018

Unfortunately there are just too many vested interests in governmental IT - the senior politicians who received cars, holidays and even houses as gifts from Microsoft have got away with feathering their own nests at the expense of effective technology.  This is commonplace in the upper reaches of government so there's no incentive to change. The "consultancies" and other "experts" also have vested interests in IT being an almighty cock-up.
There's nothing that we can do about it!
-------- Original message --------From: Marcus Harriott via GLLUG <gllug at mailman.lug.org.uk> Date: 23/06/2018  10:46  (GMT+00:00) To: The mailing list for the Greater London Linux User Group <gllug at mailman.lug.org.uk> Cc: Marcus Harriott <marcusjharriott at yahoo.co.uk> Subject: Re: [GLLUG] IT for the NHS and General Practices
Im not an IT expert but the NHS uses the same system as the MoD. Which is awful beyond all belief.

There is too much invested infrastructure, too few people in govt who have any idea how to run IT and too many public servants with their snouts in the trough to ever hope for a change.

Govt view is generally to use 'more resource' - that means spend more of YOUR money.

But it never gets fixed.

My advice to you is give up - you will only get stressed if you ever got the chance to be involved in Govt IT

 Hello,
 There appears to be an attempt to split
 the NHS into smaller isolated areas
 and to encourage more effective choice
 from local GP's, who may have views on
 the facilities they require but may not
 be experts in IT. Is there any kind of
 coordinated effort to introduce a
 world-wide, or at least UK-wide, common
 standard system for both the NHS and
 independent General Practices? Is there
 already any common standard system or
 framework that can be used without the
 need for too much individual
 development? I do not have much hope that our
 government is any more IT competent,
 and too many people appear to have their
 heads in the clouds, assuming that IT
 just happens in no time at all.
 Prompted by the latest newsletter from
 my local GP, a quick Google search
 threw up plenty of management-speak
 waffle on the need to share data. I did a
 quick search on the Debian website for
 the description "medical" and found
 items such as GNUmed. I have already
 used packages found on Debian to view my
 personal collection of CT, MRI, and
 Ultrasound scans.

 --
 Chris Bell