[GLLUG] IT for the NHS and General Practices

Alistair Mann al at pectw.net
Sat Jun 23 20:40:55 UTC 2018

The "Hundred Flowers" approach* you describe may in fact be the least
worst alternative as it would naturally mean more successful
implementations are visible from the less successful.

The problem starts IMHO in defining what IT is to record, and that can
be as simple as a name. For example Argos does not accept my name as
"Al" because it's too short (3 character lower limit dontchaknow.)
Proper database normalisation would see the same record used to describe
the landline number for myself and my missus such that if my landline
number changes either it changes for her too, or at least a query is
raised to her through some other avenue. If we have no formal handling
of names and telephone numbers 67 years after the Lyons Electronic
Office, realistically I don't think that a singular common standard or
framework is desirable, much less possible!

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hundred_Flowers_Campaign
--
Alistair Mann

t: 07899 846 648