[GLLUG] Charity WiFi, a bit off topic

stuart taylor stuart.taylor at linuxmail.org
Mon Mar 26 21:05:37 UTC 2018

> Sent: Monday, March 26, 2018 at 9:14 PM
> From: "James Courtier-Dutton" <james.dutton at gmail.com>
> To: "stuart taylor" <stuart.taylor at linuxmail.org>
> Cc: gllug <gllug at mailman.lug.org.uk>

been there this evening and had a good look around, talked to various people and emailed a few others

> I would strongly suggest getting at least 1 physical cable to the
> room, to handle the wifi router in the room.
> You will need a power socket for the wifi router also.
> Also, if you are running 1 cable, run 2 at the same time (the cost is
> the installation, and not the cable cost really), in case one fails
> over time, you can just use the other.

ok, thanks, the plan is now, two cables, running partly outside and partly inside. i may be able to run them completely inside, but i will have to investigate a partition wall.

> Also, there are some legal requirements around phones, so you might
> need a phone in the room and patching phones through the network
> cabling is easy.
> I think the legal requirement is that in case of emergency, there must
> be a working phone nearby to call 999.

there is already plans for a phone.

> I find running the cables under the floorboards, or above the ceiling
> tiles is the easiest.
>
> If you can get the ethernet cable, and power to above the ceiling
> tile, you can hide the router above the ceiling tile and you won't
> know it is there.

there aren't ceiling tiles, but there is a very small loft space.

> The ceiling tile option is quite good, because it hides everything
> away in the ceiling, and you don't have to dig out wall sockets.
> Just make sure it has ventilation, so it does not get too hot and
> cause a fire risk.
>
> I have designed wifi for entire warehouses and there it is far more
> complex, with things like noisy machines and metal structures
> interfering with wifi.

but what WiFi router do I use?

> Kind Regards
>
> James