[GLLUG] Charity WiFi, a bit off topic

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Tue Mar 27 07:25:11 UTC 2018

On 2018-03-27 08:16, John Winters via GLLUG wrote:
> On 26/03/18 22:05, stuart taylor via GLLUG wrote:
>> but what WiFi router do I use?
>
> I've had good results using MikroTik kit.  Others speak highly of
> Ubiquiti, but I have no experience of it.

Mikrotik is great, provided you want to take time to learn the
ecosystem.

Ubiquiti have two offerings here:

* EdgeRouter kit - based on Vayata, but with a nice GUI that'll suit
most people's basic needs.  Use the GUI if you want to, use the command
line if you don't.

* UniFi USG (Unified Security Gateway) - this is almost entirely a GUI
product (at least it's intended to be) but it integrates with the rest
of the UniFI management stack so it's _really_ pretty to work with and
easy to manage.   You'd buy a USG, your choice of access points from the
UniFi range and a CloudKey.

I don't have a USG (I use an EdgeRouter Lite), but the rest of the
management looks like this:

https://oc.hinterlands.org/index.php/s/gs9Rye2WXwLp8Q7