[GLLUG] ipv6, privacy addressing, and mail servers.

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Fri Nov 23 17:17:13 UTC 2018

On Friday, 23 November 2018 16:49:10 GMT Chris Bell via GLLUG wrote:
> On Thursday, 22 November 2018 08:41:59 GMT Tim Woodall via GLLUG wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >

> Hello,
> I am not an expert, but I think that if a destination is given as a short
> CNAME it should reply with its correct full address, which should not cause
> a problem. Consider the case where a single short address applies to a
> round- robin set of servers, and there must be at least a short series of
> exchanges.

The main problem with using private addresses is keeping the DNS service
updated. Allocating a static additional address is no problem, my system even
copes with external IPv6 addresses as well as separate IPv4 and IPv6 private
addresses for each local network. /etc/hosts for each server box lists all its
possible addresses.
Private IPv6 addresses use fc00::/7 addresses selected with a common /48
section as in RFC4193 / Unique Local IPv6 Unicast Addresses, and there is a
pseudo-random generator at Goebel Consult / createLULA
--
Chris Bell
Website http://chrisbell.org.uk