[GLLUG] Downside of FTTP

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Wed Dec 4 16:24:51 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 4 December 2019 16:07:25 GMT you wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Dec 2019, 15:50 Chris Bell via GLLUG, <gllug at mailman.lug.org.uk>
>
> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > Someone has posted a message on a local forum that his Redcare link to ADT
> > was
> > cut without any warning from BT when he was re-connected by FTTP.
> > ADT have offered an upgrade for £1,711.
> > --
>
> Hi,
>
> Do you have a link to the forum?
> A quick google of "Redcare link to ADT", says it is a GSM link, so should
> not even touch the FTTP.
> I don't have Redcare or FTTP, as I use alternatives, so I don't really know
> how Redcare connects.
>
> Kind Regards
>
> James
I think that Redcare may run over a standard line in a similar way to ADSL. A
local company had several telephone lines, with ADSL on one and Redcare on
another. Unfortunately the company did not which line carried which service,
so there was confusion every time there was a line fault, with the BT engineer
only sent to fix a fault on a particular (wrong) line and unwilling to touch
anything else.

--
Chris Bell
Website http://chrisbell.org.uk