[GLLUG] Updating

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Mon Feb 18 16:45:10 UTC 2019

On Monday, 18 February 2019 11:51:01 GMT Chris Bell via GLLUG wrote:
> On Monday, 18 February 2019 08:49:03 GMT John Winters via GLLUG wrote:
> > On 17/02/2019 17:27, Chris Bell via GLLUG wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > > I have a computer running KDE on Debian Stretch that will usually not
> > > allow
> > > aptitude to "u" (update the list of available packages) because
> > > /var/lib/apt/ lists/lock is open. I can delete the lock and then "u",
> > > sometimes finding that lists were not already up to date. It is one of
> > > three computers running Apt- Cacher NG which could be locking the lists,
> > > two with KDE while the third is not running a desktop, but only one
> > > shows
> > > the problem.
> > > Any suggestions why? Thanks.
> >
> > You missed out the crucial information - which one is showing the problem?
>
> I am running Apt- Cacher NG on the firewall, mainly for RaspberryPi units in
> the DMZ, there is no desktop. No problems.
> I have one box running KDE and  Apt- Cacher NG which has given previous
> intermittent problems.
> Another box runs KDE, Apt- Cacher NG mainly for security updates, and a
> partial Debian mirror which is updated overnight using ftpsync, although
> that should not need to touch /var/lib/apt/lists/. The current lock shows
> it was created 14.29 on 3rd February, so not recent or overnight. Something
> is creating the lock but not clearing it, so that is probably when I last
> deleted it. KDE does sometimes flag that an update is available, yet if I
> remove the lock I sometimes find that there are important updates available
> that had not been flagged. This is usually just after I had updated other
> computers.
> > John

I removed the lock, re-started aptitude, and pressed "u" to update the list,
and was told that 6 security updates were available, however the same updates
are now available for other boxes that have only just been updated. Perhaps it
is an automatic updater that is applying the lock, but then the problem is
that I do not get the list of other recommended additions which appears below
the main update list in aptitude.

--
Chris Bell
Website http://chrisbell.org.uk