[GLLUG] CUPS queues

Henrik Morsing henrik at morsing.cc
Mon Jan 14 08:48:24 UTC 2019

>On Tue, 20 Nov 2018, Henrik Morsing via GLLUG wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Ever since a system crash over a year ago - I have not been able to
>>get CUPS setup correctly.
>>
>>I think, bottom line, the problem is that both clients and CUPS
>>tries to setup a device/filter for the actual printer. It looks like
>>CUPS expects a PDF file, but the client has already been told what
>>the printer is, hence the file gets sent to CUPS in the printer's
>>native language and chokes.
>>
>>I seem to remember in the old days you could setup raw or PDF
>>printers but it doesn't seem to be a thing anymore. Also, on
>>Windows, they apparently dropped raw to make everyone use XPS.
>>
>>On top, on iPhones you can't really set a printer type - I think it
>>just sends PDF.
>>
>>What's the correct thing to do? Do I maybe even need two separate
>>queues, a raw for PC/laptops and a PDF for phones?
>>
>>I'm very confused...
>>
>>Thanks

Hi again,

I've got to pick this up again. I've got a fairly standard setup, but somehow, somewherem, my understanding has obviously broken despite having run this for years.

I actually got this working last month, but it's not broken on all Windows clients again.

So, currently:

1) Phones can print
2) Ubuntu laptop can print
3) Windows printing gets the response "Not a PDF file"

So, Googling, find:

1) CUPS abandonned raw printing years ago
2) Windows abandonned PDF printing years ago

Also:

- CUPS is meant to send the PPD file to the client to tell it how to print. Is this correct?

I just don't understand how a standard CUPS server can't handle Windows printing to it... Something doesn't add up.

So, when I try to define the printer it insists I tell it the hardware model of the printer. So is it that the PPD file in CUPS is wrong?

Thanks
Henrik Morsing