[GLLUG] Network UPS Tools

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Mon Jun 17 16:04:44 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 16 June 2019 15:20:33 BST Chris Bell via GLLUG wrote:
> Hello,
> I am trying to set up NUT on a Debian 10 Buster testbox. The box is not
> powered from a UPS, and NUT is not fully configured, but when I attempted as
> root to shutdown and reboot the test box the answer was shutdown command
> not found, and I have noticed that the start-stop daemon was not found.
> Would it have been disabled and replaced by NUT? I have not noticed any
> documentation about that.
> Thanks for any replies.

I have now totally re-installed buster rc1 (amd version) with KDE, proftpd-basic,  and ssh.
I have found that I am able to login as a local user, then reboot using the
KDE application launcher.
I am able to use the KDE "konsole",  su to root, but then root is unable to
use the standard "shutdown" command or use the installed "adduser" to add
another user. Other commands not yet tried.
However I can use Ctrl+Alt+F1 from a local keyboard, login as root, and use
the standard system commands including adduser and shutdown.
I am able to ssh in from another local box, su to root, but am then unable to
use the standard "shutdown" command.
So it does not appear to be related to "nut" which is not yet re-installed.

--
Chris Bell
Website http://chrisbell.org.uk