[GLLUG] Network UPS Tools

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 17:08:35 UTC 2019

On Mon, 17 Jun 2019 at 17:49, Chris Bell via GLLUG <gllug at mailman.lug.org.uk>
wrote:

> I am trying to run tests on another box which does not have its own
> monitor,
> so was using ssh and ftp. I would like to run more than one computer using
> power from a UPS, so I have been reading the documentation for Network UPS
> Tools (nut). I was getting worried that nut had caused a problem, but I re-
> installed without nut to confirm. One of the things I need to check is
> that I
> can do a simple reboot on the master without everything else shutting down
> as
> well. The latest update did require a reboot, and then I discovered the
> problem. My local mains supply is not reliable, and there have been
> several
> cable faults affecting the local area, but I am still much more likely to
> have
> to reboot the master machine than deal with the results of a power cut.

I guess if you run 2 PCs from a single UPS, then after a period of time
(depending on size of UPS) you want to shutdown both PCs.
One PC is likely to be directly connected to the UPS command interface.
That PC will need to transmit the shutdown command to the second PC.
So, you probably need the network switch on the PSU also, so the command
will reach the other PC.