[GLLUG] JetDirect printer problem was GLLUG Digest, Vol 239, Issue 2

Dave Lambley dave.lambley at gmail.com
Sun May 5 10:50:51 UTC 2019

On Sat, 4 May 2019 at 23:34, nickmount91 via GLLUG
<gllug at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:
> On Saturday, 4 May 2019 18:57, John Winters via GLLUG <gllug at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:
> Yes, but not wireless. The JetDirect box should allow me to remove the cable to the broadband hub.

Hello,

I've not used a JetDirect box since the early 2000s. Back then, and
perhaps now, you had to explicitly tell the OS which printer driver to
use. It cannot "see" the printer behind the JetDirect box, so
auto-detect does not happen, even under Windows with all the HP (or
whoever) software installed.

You can connect a wired Ethernet device to your wifi network fairly
easily. This is likely to be easier to get working, as your printer
will then be directly visible on the network. You can get a device
such as this, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vonets-VAR11N-300-Mini-Wi-Fi-Ethernet-Wireless-Repeater-Bridge-Router-UK/333098323327
. Alternatively, if you have an old router or access point lying
around, you may be able to put be able it into "Client" mode, to
bridge between your wifi and your wired printer.

Hope this helps,
Dave