[GLLUG] GLLUG Digest, Vol 239, Issue 3

Mark Preston mark at markpreston.co.uk
Mon May 6 15:17:33 UTC 2019

On 06/05/19 14:28, nickmount91 via GLLUG wrote:
> Hi,
>

>> From: Mark Preston mark at markpreston.co.uk

>> You might need to investigate setting up Samba as a print server to do this.
>>

> I am not sure why I would set up something that is not needed, when I just need to know how to set up my JetDirect.
> And there are the security problems using Samba.
>
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> Regards,
>> Mark Preston
>>

> Nick

Hi Nick,
I did write might rather than definitely. I'm just a home user and Linux
enthusiast, but I do remember quite a few years ago when Samba worked
for me in a similar situation when CUPS would not. The printer I was
using was an HP 895 so maybe not completely comparable to your
JetDirect. As John Winters rightly points out "this is much
messier than the CUPS setup", but also quite satisfying when you get it
to work.

--
Regards,
Mark Preston