[GLLUG] Aliases with Debian Exim4

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Thu May 16 18:37:39 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 16 May 2019 17:00:50 BST you wrote:
> On Thursday, 16 May 2019 15:52:11 BST Andy Smith via GLLUG wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 03:10:50PM +0100, Chris Bell via GLLUG wrote:
> > > It almost seems that anything listed in /etc/aliases is not just ignored
> > > but actively blocked.
> >
> > What happens when you type:
> >
> > $ exim4 -bt username
> >
> > ?
>
> Thanks for the reply,
> The answer for all is " is undeliverable: Unrouteable address"
>
> > Cheers,
> > Andy

I have computers running bind9 locally, so any reference to dnslookup is
direct to another box on the same network with full details of the entire
system, output restricted to local only. Other usernames and alias names not
included in /etc/aliases are accepted.

root at rp35:/home/chrisbell# exim4 -bt webmaster
R: dnslookup for webmaster at rp35.lo3
webmaster at rp35.lo3 is undeliverable: Unrouteable address

My mail gateway and mail server together are rejecting large amounts of junk
and relay attempts, with detailed logging by the gateway.
--
Chris Bell
Website http://chrisbell.org.uk