[GLLUG] Perl programming project

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 18:15:39 UTC 2020

On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 at 10:57, Marco van Beek via GLLUG
<gllug at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:
> Basically we currently have an LDAP address book which is used by our
> desktop phones and our scanner. We also have started to use CardDAV as
> support is slowly extended into Thunderbird and Outlook (via a plug-in)
> but the VOIP phones and MFD do not understand CardDAV, so we need
> something to allow CardDAV to answer LDAP queries. After much
> unsuccessful searching (found one bit of bespoke code but the author
> never got back to me) I have figured out that OpenLDAP can use a Perl
> backend, and there is a Perl module that does CardDAV. We do not need a
> full two way conversation between the two, but as a project this does
> have the potential for a much bigger scope.

It seems a bit confused to me.
Do you have an LDAP server or a CardDAV server or both?
I would have thought having a single server that can handle both query
types is the way to go, because I expect the data model behind CardDAV
and LDAP is different.
One would probably need to design the data model from the start with
both protocols in mind, to get this working well.

KInd Regards

James