[GLLUG] XMPP clients? Movim?

Dr. Axel Stammler axst at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jan 29 11:18:10 UTC 2020

Hi,

I have been using different XMPP clients (under Debian and Lineage) over time with rather mixed results, e.g. Gajim, Conversations and A Talk, using my own Prosody setup. Prosody seems to offer a lot, at least in conjunction with A Talk, more than the other clients support, which also seem a bit unreliable. Has anyone tried different clients (especially under Debian), e.g. Dino, Finch, M Cabber, Poezio, or Kadu? What about the audio and video calls A Talk seems to offer? I cannot even find anyone to try these things out with.

An alternative seems to be Movim but I could not get the server to work under Debian Buster. What do you think of using one of their own servers with a Lineage client? Does that not defeat the purpose of moving away from commercial anti-social media like Whats App?

Axel