[GLLUG] Moving from a Paradox database on Microsoft to Linux

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Tue Jul 28 16:40:41 UTC 2020

On 28/07/2020 17:01, Chris Bell via GLLUG wrote:
> Hello,
> I have been asked how best to transfer the data from a Paradox database to
> something suitable on Linux. Any information welcome. Thanks.

When called upon to move large datasets between systems, I've generally
done it via CSV files, which makes it easy to check the data and
identify which half - export or import - has a problem if there are
issues.  A quick web search indicates that there are a wide range of
exporters which will turn Paradox into CSV.

The biggest issue which I've found is with character encodings.  You
need to check what the existing database uses, and then check further
that the text fields do indeed contain data in that encoding.  Sometimes
I've found that the source database claims one encoding, but then some
of the text fields are in a different one.  The matter is further
complicated when you have to deal with third parties who don't know what
a character encoding is and behave as if you've invented them just to
annoy them, mentioning no names, cough, iSAMS.

Importing into any Linux database from a CSV file is easy-peasy and can
be accomplished in 5-10 lines of code.

HTH
John

--
Xronos Scheduler - https://xronos.uk/
All your school's schedule information in one place.