[GLLUG] Moving from a Paradox database on Microsoft to Linux

Bernard Peek bernard.peek at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 18:09:29 UTC 2020

That's a problem but it's manageable. If your data comes from multiple tables you do need to understand the relationships between them. You also need to understand the difference between tables and queries/views and the terminology used by both databases. Check which tables have indexes. Check whether the system you are extracting data from enforces any validation or business rules. That might be handled by code in data-entry forms.

I recommend importing raw data and adding keys and indexes afterwards. You may well find that adding those rules generates errors. If you get an error it's almost certainly because you haven’t understood the data.