[GLLUG] KVM Performance

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.org.uk
Tue Jun 9 22:45:06 UTC 2020

On 09/06/2020 22:52, Ken Smith via GLLUG wrote:

> Indeed. So wouldn't passing a block device from the host through to the
> guest minimise the 'components' that are 'in the way'
>
> I can' t help thinking that there must be something more behind a drop
> from 60MB/s to 15MB/s in write performance
>
> I'd value your thoughts :-) Ken

Can't speak to your exact bottleneck here, but I think I'd try and
eliminate your disk hardware from the game for a start, to see what
happens there.

Try creating a null block device
(https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/block/null_blk.html), and then
benchmark writes to that on the host and the guest. See what that does
as a baseline....

Mike