[GLLUG] KVM Performance

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 15:14:11 UTC 2020

On Fri, 12 Jun 2020 at 08:55, Tim Woodall via GLLUG
<gllug at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Jun 2020, Ken Smith via GLLUG wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > While in lockdown I decided to do some performance testing on KVM. I had
> > believed that passing a block device through to a guest rather than using a
> > QCOW2 file would get better performance. I wanted to see whether that was
> > true and indeed whether using iSCSI storage was any better/worse.
> >

> Interesting, I've been looking into this myself trying to improve
> performance/reduce cpu usage.

Hi,

My experience with KVM is that it is pretty good, performance wise,
with block devices.
E.g. qcow2 or actual block devices.
KVM appears very slow for USB devices.
Some of your tests appear to include USB in the path.
USB devices are also very slow when used with WINE. (Running windows
app on Linux)

Kind Regards

James