[GLLUG] which Virtual Host provider

Jan Henkins jan at henkins.za.net
Sat Jun 13 16:29:17 UTC 2020

Hello Miro,

On 04/06/2020 14:28, MJ via GLLUG wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  From the combined wisdom od the collective, which provider would be the best for
> setting up Jitsi video bridge on?
> As all has moved to tele-everything I need a reliable way to host Church meetings.
> I need just 25Gb, 1Gb Ram, 2Gh, but I also need advise on bandwidth req.
> No fail safe, unless someone sponsors it.

Since this is for a large group of people, I would advise against
setting up your own VM instance. For instance, on a Digital Ocean
droplet with 2Gb of RAM, I managed to get about 12 people on Jitsi and
it seems to run out of steam. For anything more than that, a non-shared
platform (own hardware) is probably advisable. Do you have a reason for
not using the Jitsi (*) hosted service? The Surrey Linux User Group have
been using this with great success for all their monthly meetings.

(*) https://meet.jit.si/

--

Regards,
Jan Henkins