[GLLUG] Webcam on Linux

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 11:05:36 UTC 2020

On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 at 00:51, Andrew Black via GLLUG
<gllug at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:

> My laptop webcam has broken, and I dont have the energy to get it fixed under RTB warranty.
> Are there any gotchas about buying for linux (ubuntu 18.04).

> Ps
> One site says Support multiple operating systems, including Windows, Mac OS, Android Smart TV, etc.
> I would like something a little more definitive than "etc".

Hi,

USB webcams use a standard method for passing video and controls to the PC.
To this end, pretty much every USB webcam should work with Linux.
All the ones I have ever used just work with the same Linux driver
that has been in the Linux kernel for years now.
That includes:
1) webcam embedded in laptop.
2) webcam on usb cable that clips to the top of a display
3) Boroscopes / Endoscopes - (Really small cams that can fit in small places.)

You mention "mic not important", but a mic based on a usb web cam is
likely to be better quality than the mic in a laptop.
mic's in laptops, tend to have quite a lot of background noise, mainly
because they are designed badly.
Of course, even better is a headset with an included mic.

Kind Regards

James