[GLLUG] Postgrey holding list

Henrik Morsing henrik at morsing.cc
Tue Mar 3 16:01:11 UTC 2020

Marco,

I apologise if I came across as rude, I just felt a massive debate had grown from a simple quetion if a tool existed to mentioning some problem that I didn't know what was.

On Tue, Mar 03, 2020 at 03:45:47PM +0000, Marco van Beek wrote:
>Those two do not contradict each other.

No, but to me saying something doesn't know if something is waiting, then that it stores the connection details with a timestamp, does. We will just have to differ in that opinion.

>PostGrey simply stores an entry with a timestamp. It doesn't record that
>anything is waiting, just when the last SMTP connection was made. If
>someone sends an email to the same person from the same server every few
>days they are never greylisted, and for the same reason a second email
>from the same person on the same server sent 5:01 minutes later will
>sail through PostGrey checks, whereas the queued email sometimes doesn't
>arrive for hours.

I know.

>I think you are about to waste a lot of time and effort trying to read a
>database that won't tell you what you want to know, but it's not my time
>and not my problem.

I don't really think I said what it was I wanted. I just find my-self frequently being asked by my wife why a password reset mail (as an example), hasn't arrived, and rather than constantly trawling through logs for her, I could have a URL run a script that output the connections not yet white listed for her to see. That would leave me out of the loop.

>You may notice that nobody else has written back to say it works
>differently to what John and I have said, and we have been looking after
>email servers with PostGrey for over a decade,

So have I, and I have never doubted how postgrey works.

> and I am the only person
>to tell you about the existing reporting tool, which isn't perfect but
>would give you somewhere to start to better understand the problem.

And I still don't know what the problem I have mentioned is. All I am saying is that that tool is an after-the-fact and statistics tool.

>I suggest you read the man page for postgreyreport:
>http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/trusty/man1/postgreyreport.1.html
>[1]
>
>And then feel free to wind your neck in a bit and apologise. I
>appreciate English might not be your first language, but you have been
>very rude / arrogant towards me. I told you there was a tool, and by
>your answers, it looks like you didn't even bother to read up about it.

I read the man page for that tool before I asked here.

I will see if I can write a tool for what I need.

Thanks
Henrik Morsing