[GLLUG] Link two RAIDs in one LVM?

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sun May 10 06:39:36 UTC 2020

On 09/05/2020 20:32, Dr. Axel Stammler via GLLUG wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your quick reaction and your tips.
>
> On Sat 2020-05-09 11.24.15, Greater London Linux User Group wrote:
>
>> How do you intend to combine them? You won't be able to put your
>> existing array into the LVM without destroying its contents.
>
> https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-handbook/advanced-administration.en.html#sect.raid-and-lvm
>

> says you can use lvresize and resize2fs to do just that. I am still
> hoping this will work.

I think you may be mis-reading the manual.  What you can do is increase
the size of an existing Logical Volume, but you can't do an in-situ
conversion of an existing non-LV filing system.

One thing which might work for you is to make your two new drives into a
RAID1 set and then use resulting device as your first Physical Volume.
Create a large logical volume within it, copy all your existing files
over (boring), delete the partition on the old RAID1 set, create a
second PV, add it to your Volume Group and then expand the LV.

It does mean moving all your data from old drives to new, but at least
you'd then end up with one much larger filing system.

Cheers,
John

--
Xronos Scheduler - https://xronos.uk/
All your school's schedule information in one place.