[GLLUG] Adding openvpn to an existing configuration

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Mon May 11 10:34:38 UTC 2020

On Monday, 11 May 2020 11:07:55 BST Marco van Beek via GLLUG wrote:

> > Openvpn should not be grabbing port 53 unless you are using a custom
> > config for it. The default setup for openvpn is UDP 1194. Some people
> > do use port 53 UDP for VPn because it allows you to tunnel through,
> > but you have just seen what havoc that can bring.
Hello Marco,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I had configured openvpn to use UDP port 1194 and
was trying to get it working, with port 1194 enabled through the firewall. Then
I re-booted and everything stopped, with dnsmasq complaining that port 53 was
already taken so would not start, until I removed openvpn. I did not find any
other reason why there was a problem, and I would like to try again with
openvpn if I can still get dnsmasq to run.

--
Chris Bell
Website http://chrisbell.org.uk