[GLLUG] Link two RAIDs in one LVM?

Dr. Axel Stammler axst at users.sourceforge.net
Mon May 11 18:22:39 UTC 2020

Hi, Andy,

On Sun 2020-05-10 20.35.20, Greater London Linux User Group wrote:

>On Sun, May 10, 2020 at 10:03:32PM +0200, Dr. Axel Stammler via GLLUG wrote:
>> On Sun 2020-05-10 08.53.16, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
>> >So, I think moving to an "LVM mirror" solution is your best bet for
>> >future extensibility.
>>
>> After reviewing all options, this indeed seems to be the best one in my case.
>
>But it still doesn't let you move filesystems that aren't on LVM
>in to LVM. I don't understand why you keep thinking that LVM lets
>you do this. My very first reply to you pointed out this would be an
>issue for you!

Thank you, and I am sorry I did not make it clear that I had dropped that idea. I'll do what was suggested here: create a mirrored LV on the new drives, use R Sync to copy my data from my old RAID-1 system to the LV, create new physical volumes on the old drives (destroying the RAID), and extend the volume group and the logical volume.