[GLLUG] Plusnet

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Tue May 12 14:20:43 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 12 May 2020 14:40:21 BST Tim Clarke via GLLUG wrote:
> I have plusnet fibre 80-mbps and it works fine  - although speed is
> around 70mbps
> I have a feeling 80 is rarely achieved unless right on top of the
> cabinet!
>
> However, beware it comes with the phone line and their call charges
> are pretty awful.   I just ue the landline for incoming calls and
> my mobile for outgoing (unlimited free!)
>
> Tim

Yes, I paid the one-off £5 for a static IPv4 address. Mine is capped at 40Mbps
down, 10Mbps up, but my modem tells me that the maximum achievable down has
varied between about 40Mbps and 90Mbps, highest when the ground is wet, now
72.79Mbps. The cables are old, mostly installed around 1930-1940, and the
ducts are badly damaged, so BT are reluctant to touch them.

--
Chris Bell
Website http://chrisbell.org.uk