[GLLUG] Plusnet

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Tue May 12 19:43:57 UTC 2020

On 12/05/2020 20:36, Frank Scott via GLLUG wrote:
> On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 02:40:21PM +0100, Tim Clarke via GLLUG wrote:
>>
>> I have plusnet fibre 80-mbps and it works fine  - although speed is around
>> 70mbps
>> I have a feeling 80 is rarely achieved unless right on top of the
>> cabinet!
>
> I have 80-mbps with A&A and I only get 73mbs. The FTTC cabinet is just
> by the front gate!

Mine is about 150 yards away and I get a sync speed of 76.5 Mbps (*not*
mbps which would be dreadful).

Bear in mind though that the sync speed which you get has nothing to do
with the ISP which you use.  Regardless of who provides your back-haul
service, the sync speed is dictated by the quality of the wire between
you and the cabinet.  Switching to a different ISP will make no
difference to it, unless you also switch to a different infrastructure
(e.g. Virgin).

The original query though was about IP address allocations and DNS.
That *is* under the control of your chosen ISP.

John

--
Xronos Scheduler - https://xronos.uk/
All your school's schedule information in one place.