[GLLUG] Systemd on Debian

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Sat May 23 12:35:47 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 23 May 2020 12:43:29 BST Andy Smith via GLLUG wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 10:07:24AM +0100, James Courtier-Dutton via GLLUG
wrote:
> > On Sat, 23 May 2020, 09:07 Chris Bell via GLLUG,
> > <gllug at mailman.lug.org.uk>
> >
> > wrote:
> > > I am trying to assign IPv4 and IPv6, with named local IP
> > > addresses to individual networks for local access only,
> >
> > I am curious. Why do you think ipv6 link local address is useful for what
> > you are trying to use it for?
>
> The above is the only reference to "local" that I find and I didn't
> take it as meaning strictly link-local. They could just be global
> scope addresses that are only used internally. But in case it was
> wanted to use addresses that cannot be globally routed, there is the
> Unique Local Address range which is intended to be like RFC1918 but
> for IPv6:
>
>     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unique_local_address
>
> So in that case OP should pick some random block within fc00::/7.
>
> But if OP has been assigned some stable prefix by the tunnel broker
> then I would think it is perfectly fine to use a subnet of that for
> internal addressing, with appropriate firewalling.
>
> Perhaps there is a desire to keep the same internal addresses even
> if the tunnel broker supplier were to change.
>
> Cheers,
> Andy
In fact I have an assigned IPv6 address via the HE tunnel, I may at some time
get an assigned IPv6 address from my ISP, and I am using fdxx::/8 with the
correctly generated bits to make a 48bit prefix for local use (fcxx::/8 is
officially not yet in use).
I am trying to enhance my shorewall(6) firewall without breaking it, and
prepare an upgraded one for future use.
Out of interest, a relative has a brand new BT domestic FTTC connection which
came with a dynamic IPv4 address and an IPv6 address with TTL 10 years, but
the Hub6 tells me that it does not have IPv6 DNS.

--
Chris Bell
Website http://chrisbell.org.uk