[GLLUG] How to repair an unallocated hard drive?

Mark Preston mark at markpreston.co.uk
Sat Apr 17 16:22:26 UTC 2021

On 10/04/2021 16:37, Chris Bell via GLLUG wrote:

> On Saturday, 10 April 2021 12:54:01 BST Mark Preston via GLLUG wrote:
>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Mark Preston
> That looks like hard work!
> I am currently trying to work out how I am going to upgrade several old boxes
> to Debian 11 "Bullseye" which it seems should be released soon, most have
> space reserved, plus a few using derivatives of Debian which should follow
> soon afterwards.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply above.

It wasn't so much hard work as a slow process. Most of the hard work was
done by the processor. Even with fairly modern machines and programs it
took about a week for the 6 million plus files which made up the over
1Tb of this particular "home" to be "rescued". Then it was like looking
for a few needles in a giant haystack. Scalpel then took a few more
hours to isolate the LibreOffice calc files I particularly wanted. The
extra cautious approach I took did eventually pay off in that no files
were lost. However, the upgrade to Linux Mint 20 didn't turn out as well
as I hoped, so now I'm trying Mx Linux (19.3) which so far seems much
more satisfactory.

--

Regards,

Mark