[GLLUG] Networking standards

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Tue Apr 27 11:58:18 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 27 April 2021 10:59:49 BST Chris Bell via GLLUG wrote:
> On Tuesday, 27 April 2021 10:41:17 BST Marco van Beek via GLLUG wrote:
> > Given that you can now get 10Gb/s over cable and 10GB switches off the
> > shelf reasonably affordable (at least affordable when compared to the
> > same in fibre), I think that the only reason at the moment to use fibre
> > is distance unless you have a very specific requirement. My guess is
> > that by the time 10Gb/s speeds becomes common and needed, we will have a
> > 100Gb/s over copper standard. Fibre is too brittle for day to day use in
> > a workplace.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Marco.
>
> Hello Marco,
> Another problem would be making efficient terminations, while I assume that
> eventually optical plastics will be available for use over shorter distances
> which could be more able to withstand abuse.

Farnell.com list shorter distance optical polymer cables from several
suppliers which are claimed to be robust and easy to terminate, together with
single, twin, latching, and non-latching connectors, but is there an
interconnection standard? The original IBM "Personal Computer" was thrown
together using a number of parts available off the shelf, and they were adopted
as standards. Perhaps it is still too early for a new standard to be accepted.

--
Chris Bell
Website https://chrisbell.org.uk