[GLLUG] IT does cost

Iain M Conochie iain at shihad.org
Wed Aug 11 10:58:15 UTC 2021

On Fri, 2021-08-06 at 16:00 +0100, Christopher Hunter via GLLUG wrote:
> On 06/08/2021 12:31, Andy Smith via GLLUG wrote:

<snip>
> No government IT project has ever come in on budget, and exactly none
> of
> them has worked as advertised.  They have squandered £Billions in
> the
> last 40 years, and have achieved almost nothing. The NHS IT
> infrastructure has never worked, despite them throwing ever more
> money
> at the problem, and hospitals and GPs are still keeping all patient
> records on paper.
>
> They really are clueless/

IMO this is the form of delivery of the software, rather than the
actual software used. Project management that delivers in one big bang
is a recipe for disaster. Using an agile and iterative methodology is
more likely to result in software that is:
   * Modular
   * Scalable
   * Efficient
   * More likely to fulfil the brief of the business department that
requires it

Have a look how the DVLA have been able to move their IT forward, so we
can now
   * Tax vehicles online
   * Transfer ownership online
   * No longer having to display Tax disks on your cars

I understand the last one can be contentious due to privacy issues, but
the point remains.

Iain