[GLLUG] How to repair an unallocated hard drive?

Mark Preston mark at markpreston.co.uk
Fri Jan 1 22:53:53 UTC 2021

On 01/01/21 16:14, Chris Bell via GLLUG wrote:
> Hello Mark
> Knoppix appears to show sda as a 2TB disk partitioned using GPT which will
> install a GPT partition immediately after the space normally used by the DOS
> MBR to provide more space for information about multiple main partitions, not
> just the maximum of 4 physical partitions in the old MS-DOS. Most computers
> search for the MBR, so it is used to re-direct the BIOS to the GPT partition.
> The main boot sequence is then controlled from the GPT partition, and none of
> the other partitions will be labelled as bootable.
>   I often see some unallocated space at either end of the disc space, usually
> less than 1 sector, but most of sda appears to be a single partition, possibly
> using a swap file instead of a swap partition.
> Perhaps the disc was re-partitioned as a GPT disc, which would overwrite the
> original MS-DOS system, but then just left not further partitioned or
> formatted.
> There appears to be more information about sdb and its partitions without
> mention of corruption.
> If sda is corrupted do not try to alter it. There was a package "photorec"
> designed to recover deleted photos which was later enhanced to recover almost
> anything and may be re-named "testdisk". It is not a quick and easy recovery,
> but can examine, list, recover, and copy as many directories and files as
> possible to another formatted disc.

Hi John and Chris,
Thank you for your further replies. They are helping me to develop a
recovery plan.
I have a full backup of the home directory from the end of October which
I expect will contain nearly all the files I need. I installed the HMRC
Paye Basic Tools system and this is one of my concerns, but it won't be
the end of the world. This is a 32 bit program for Linux, but I got it
working on this 64 bit machine which I was quite pleased about. Whether
I can repeat that trick I'm not sure. I think you're right that the
Linux Mint 20 install removed the partitions, but I never installed this
on the hard drive, so hopefully most of the previous files are still
there somewhere. The computer never had any Windows operating system
installed as far as know. It's about time I got a new PC. I think I'll
change the hard drive and put Linux Mint 20 on the new drive and copy
the existing 2TB disk using GNU ddrescue to an external hard drive
before removing it and the copy for further analysis with programs like
testdisk. Maybe eventually it can be repartitioned and rebooted
successfully.
--
Regards,
Mark