[GLLUG] IPv6 addresses

Tim Woodall t at woodall.me.uk
Mon Jul 19 12:40:31 UTC 2021

On Mon, 19 Jul 2021, John Winters via GLLUG wrote:

> On 19/07/2021 11:25, Tim Woodall via GLLUG wrote:
>> On Sun, 18 Jul 2021, Chris Bell via GLLUG wrote:
>>
>>> My sister has a relatively new domestic BT broadband connection. The IPv4
>>> address was expected to be dynamic despite BT claiming to have sufficient
>>> IPv4
>>> addresses, while the IPv6 address so far has had a static /48 but dynamic
>>> /64.
> [snip]
>>
>> I'm not completely sure how you have static /48 but dynamic /64. Can you
>> not assign yourself a fixed /64 from the /48 if that's what you want?
>
> Presumably the sister is getting allocated a /64 which varies, but always
> comes from the same /48.

Ah, yes. I misread the OP.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Archive-Staging/IPV6-Settings/td-p/1699523
and
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/11/bt-broadband-lines-now-support-ipv6-internet-addresses.html

Seems to suggest that you should get a /56. Does the OP get a /64 from
the same /56 each time or is it a different /56 each time?