[GLLUG] Xeon D servers (Was: Re: Power control over IP)

Andy Smith andy at bitfolk.com
Wed Jun 2 04:17:34 UTC 2021

Hi John,

On Tue, Jun 01, 2021 at 07:46:25PM +0100, John Hearns via GLLUG wrote:
> I did like the Xeon-D at that time. I wanted to position them as servers
> for bioinformatics (gene sequencing).
> I never quite achieved that and do regret it.

They've been lovely little servers for the last 5 years, been very
happy with them, and the short depth meant it was refreshing to be
able to fit one in my backpack and rock up to Telehouse on foot!
They also only draw about 48VA at idle. The chassis is only 287mm
deep:

    https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/chassis/1U/510/SC510T-203B
    https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/X10SDV-F

But there's no upgrade path and at 1 socket / 8 cores @2GHz / 128G
RAM per 1U they are just not dense enough any more, even for someone
like me who is not trying to do anything particularly dense. :)

    https://ibin.co/63ukcXdxuCBR.jpg

Maybe still useful for someone.

Cheers,
Andy