[GLLUG] Two factor authentication

Andy Smith andy at bitfolk.com
Sat May 29 15:13:26 UTC 2021

Hello,

On Sat, May 29, 2021 at 04:56:32PM +0200, stuart taylor via GLLUG wrote:
> I am thinking of deploying two factor authentication on our
> servers, but some of the other admins cannot get a mobile signal
> when they are at home. Is there any other way I can do this, or a
> better way of improving authentication?

The only multi-factor authentication method I am aware of that
requires a mobile signal is SMS, and that is a really poor MFA
method.

Notably a TOTP solution doesn't need any network access except at
the initial setup time when the service tells you your key. Which
even that could be avoided if you did it by post or something!

Here's an example of an open source TOTP with PAM support which
works in any client that supports TOTP (not tied to Google in any
way):

    https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Google_Authenticator

Cheers,
Andy