[GLLUG] Power control over IP

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Sat May 29 17:48:28 UTC 2021

On Sat, 29 May 2021 at 16:38, Martin A. Brooks via GLLUG
<gllug at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:

> On 2021-05-29 16:19, stuart taylor via GLLUG wrote:
> > Can anyone point me towards a suitable 'power
> > supply over IP' solution? Are there any drawbacks to using these?
>
> Anything by APC.  It's perfectly normal and reasonable to have remote
> control power.

What servers do you have? Dell ones have iDRAC and HP ones have LOM
(Lights out management)
It allows access to power on/off the OS like you were pressing the
power button, and also access to the console like VNC, but it allows
you to see BIOS boot up messages also.
So, what I am trying to say, is your server might already have the
features you are asking for.
You can also add PDUs and UPSs that are controllable over TCP/IP if
you need them.

Kind Regards

James