[GLLUG] GLLUG still alive?

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Tue Aug 13 16:00:39 UTC 2024

LUG Revival 101: Ask if it's dead.

I suspect most people have outgrown LUGs and found that online searches or
their favourite AI (yes, I know) can answer their Linux questions and even
serve as nerd companions. LUGs are less and less necessary as Linux gets
better, or people give up and buy a Chromebook / Mac / Windows desktop for
gaming.

On Tue, 13 Aug 2024 at 15:44, Polarian via GLLUG <gllug at mailman.lug.org.uk>
wrote:

> I have been looking through the archives and have seen that there has
> been only a few posts to the list in the past year.
>
> I notice one thread (apologies for creating a new one) on how the list
> has been quite [1].

Mailing lists are for old people. Old people are finding "better" things to
do with their time than edit /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf, like
dying or spending time with the family or in the garden.

The 'youth' tend to hang out on discourse, discord, and other hip places
with variable-width fonts, 144Hz refresh rates and animated JIFs.

> I have looked through the website [2] however the posts end at 2017,
> and the IRC channel is back on freenode, before freenode fell and
> libera took over, so I am unsure this channel is still around.

IRC is dead(*). People tend to use Telegram, Signal, Discord, Matrix (ugh),
and friends. I still chat to people I met through LUGs most days. Just not
here.

* I am in around 30 channels, they're almost all dead.

> I have been checking out London (and surrounding areas) lug's but all
> of them seem dead, gllug seems to be the most lively at a few emails
> this year :P

If you're looking for companionship or friendly banter, I'd recommend
organising something, announcing where you will be and when. People nearby
or willing will turn up, usually, in small numbers.

Good luck!

:D
Al.