[GLLUG] GLLUG still alive?

David Geary bianca.uranus at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 20:47:53 UTC 2024

Surrey LUG is still active. I have been to one of their meetings
(relatively) recently at Burgh Heath.

https://surrey.lug.org.uk/

The meeting location moves around, so check the website (or notification if
subscribed to the mailing list).

As for 'we won', this is false. Just because many people no longer care,
doesn't mean we are free to use our devices as we wish. In this respect we
are losing.
iPhones and iPads (in)famously restrict their users to only be able to
install apps from the Apple app store. Surface tablets are the same, except
they are locked to Microsoft instead of Apple.
Android respects its users more in this respect allowing 3rd party app
stores such as F-Droid (f-droid.org), but the list of devices supported by
LineageOS (https://lineageos.org/), a free as in freedom version of Android
and the successor to CyanogenMod, is far smaller than expected for 'we won'
to be true.
Secure Boot (Restricted Boot) means that it is harder for users to run
non-Microsoft operating systems on PCs.

Many tasks that were traditionally performed by apps are now offered as
services which has nothing to do with software freedom, but raises other
issues, such as privacy.
The use of non-free network services is listed as an anti-feature of some
apps on F-Droid Android App Repository.

--
David Geary