[GLLUG] Ubuntu versus Debian (was: Re: GLLUG still alive?)

Carles Pina i Estany carles at pina.cat
Tue Aug 13 21:10:41 UTC 2024

Hi,

On 13 Aug 2024 at 21:22:12, John Edwards wrote:
> Hi
>

> On Tue, Aug 13, 2024 at 08:00:34PM +0100, Carles Pina i Estany via GLLUG wrote:
> > On 13 Aug 2024 at 16:18:59, John Edwards via GLLUG wrote:
> >> ps. I've been tempted a couple of times to post about the ongoing
> >> problems with Canonical not updating packages which have already been
> >> fixed in Debian, but that would just be a rant and I don't
> >> particularly want to start a flame war in hot weather.
> >
> > which, I would like to ask: which reasons (I'm sure that you have
> > reasons!) do you have to use Ubuntu instead of Debian?
> <snip>
>
> (Somebody had to ask, so I'll try to avoid making this too ranty)

That was SUPER interesting. I've been using Debian for years and years
(at work and home). Yes, I've been exposed to Ubuntu but not in detail
enough to suffer the problems that you mentioned.

[...]

> ps. As a business, the company I work for did used to pay Canonical
> for Ubuntu support many years ago. But they don't any more (lack of
> quality and poor response times).

I understand that the company that you work for chose Ubuntu, maybe
because the Canonical support (BTW, it's possible to find Debian support
from different places... but AFAIK not from big companies such
Canonical).

But, since they don't Canonical support anymore, and besides the cost of
changing: are they migrating or installing Debian in new equipment? Or,
do they miss something in Debian that doesn't allow it?  (some specific
software working in a certified way only on Ubuntu, or some hardware
that needs propietary software that is Ubuntu specific...). Or, there is
the usual (I do the same in some things!) "maybe the alternative is
better, but no time to migrate/learn it now just now?".

In my free time sometimes (when baby and life allows :-) ) I try to
improve Debian. I have a backlog of things, but it's always nice to know
what's missing and not "what I'm missing" (on the other hand, in my free
time... I sometimes prefer to solve my own problems!)

Thanks very much!

--
Carles Pina i Estany
https://carles.pina.cat | carles at pina.cat | cpina at debian.org