[GLLUG] GLLUG still alive?

Matthew Smith indigojo at blogistan.co.uk
Sun Aug 18 18:03:50 UTC 2024

On 13 Aug 2024, at 16:36, Martin A. Brooks via GLLUG <gllug at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:

> On 2024-08-13 15:50, Polarian via GLLUG wrote:
>> I have been looking through the archives and have seen that there has
>> been only a few posts to the list in the past year.
>
> Most LUGs are dying, if not already dead.  Why?  Very simple: we won.
>
> Linux went from a hobbyist OS used by geeks and weirdos to global ubiquity. The geeks and weirdos are still the same, though.

We didn’t win in the sense we were hoping to though, did we? Linux won on mobile (Android), but the “great hope” for open-source mobile (Meego) flopped after one high-profile device that wasn’t even released in the UK. Windows’s market share has dipped considerably, but not in favour of open-source desktops but of even more restrictive tablets. The Mac has been quite successful using a Unix-based OS with some of the same technologies as Linux, but it’s got even more locked-down over the years.

Matt