[GLLUG] Steadfast Self-Hosting workshop

Adam Monsen info at selfhostbook.com
Tue Sep 24 16:59:37 UTC 2024

MJ,

Great to hear from you and I wish you the best. I've been curious about
Freedombox, and also TrueNAS SCALE. I've only briefly reviewed them and
I hear they work well as "appliances". You might find my book useful if
you want to spend time on practical and ideological fundamentals of
self-hosting, and try DIY/from scratch self-hosting.

Since you mentioned Wordpress (which of often used for public blogs): My
book would be helpful learn how to self-host a private Wordpress
instance. I focus on feature-rich apps kept LAN-only (with perhaps VPN
access). I discuss threat modeling in the book as a way to decide what
is opened up ("WAN access") and what is kept private.

I'd love to hear what kinds of setups and which particular apps are (and
aren't) working well, and I hope we have the chance to get together in
London!

-Adam