[GLLUG] Reading/converting unknown database file

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Wed Sep 25 15:18:48 UTC 2024

Hi Henrik

On Tue, Sep 24, 2024 at 12:53:24PM +0100, Alain D D Williams via GLLUG wrote:
<snip>
> Use the strings program, you should see some of what you have in the catalogue.
> If you cannot then it is possible that the data is encrypted or maybe just
> compressed.
<snip>

If 'strings' shows some text at the start but then mostly binary data
afterwards then it might be a binary file (eg PKZIP, Gzip, sqlite)
with a text header. The header could be either fixed length or until a
given set of characters marks the end. I've seen that on some programs
which want to quickly read in a summary of the contents of the file
without having to look at the whole thing.

So you could try stripping out any ASCII text at the start and then
analysing the remainder with 'file' or something similar.